We are looking for dynamic, motivated and responsible residential or non-residential Activity Leaders to join our team to work with international students under 18 years of age at various centres in the UK. Centres include London, Cambridge, Bournemouth, Oakham, York and Edinburgh. Non-residential only in central London and Edinburgh.
ABOUT STAFFORD HOUSE
Stafford House is a global company with schools based in the UK, USA and Canada, but also our sales team based around the world recruiting great students! Our mission is to educate, inspire, and help our students enjoy our cities, empowering them with confidence, to realise their personal potential. We offer a true experience for our students, and it takes dedicated and special employees to help deliver that. Our ‘Lions’ are part of the Stafford House family from the start as we quickly integrate people into the team and look to build individuals skills to allow them to truly excel in their role and push on to greater things. Once a Lion, always a lion!
Activity Leader (Residential or non-residential)
- Under the guidance of the Activities Manager, and utilising the outlined social program provided by Head Office, plan, organise and implement a high quality programme of activities and excursions, leading by example.
- Motivate and encourage students to take an active part in the programme.
- Supervise and look after the safety and welfare of students.
YOUR PROFILE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- To have read and understood the staff handbook and be fully conversant with our policies for the welfare and protection of children. At all times when on duty, staff are responsible for the care, welfare and safety of students whilst ensuring they are following school rules.
- To participate in the staff induction day (paid as part of normal weekly hours).
- To prepare for activity sessions thoroughly. Preparation time can be considerable if you are to ensure the success of the timetabled session. This involves:
- Comprehensive planning and promoting of the activity, ensuring that students sign up in advance
- Considering all potential hazards concerning Health & Safety according to guidelines laid down, and making necessary provisions to avoid accidents
- Knowing necessary instructions/directions before session start time
- Having all equipment and decorations, if appropriate, set up before students arrive
- Packing away all equipment and materials, and tidying the activity space.
- To actively encourage the involvement of students in activities and events, leading by example.
- When running an activity, to supervise other staff and encourage them to take a full and active part.
- To ensure that listed students are present at social programme sessions and to maintain accurate registers of their attendance.
- To look after the materials/equipment and ensure they are returned at the end of each activity.
- To escort groups on excursions and ensure the safety and welfare of the students, as well as providing them with information to help them get the maximum benefit from their visit.
- To provide feedback on the programme to the Activities Manager.
- To undertake local travel and research.
- If holding a specialist qualification that is eligible for an increment, to undertake duties pertaining to this.
- To supervise student behaviour both on and off campus.
- To carry out meal-time and free-time supervision and, if residential, lights-out duties. Other residential duties include morning wake-ups, room checks and generally caring for the welfare of our younger students.
- To ensure that all Stafford House Health & Safety policies are implemented and monitored.
- To assist with airport transfers and student arrivals and departures.
- To assist with centre administration as directed.
- To assist in closing the centre and returning equipment.
- Additional duties as required.
- Level of spoken and written English equivalent to CEF level C1/CAE/IELTS 7.0
- Interested in, and able to organise activities such as drama, arts & crafts, talent shows etc.
- Able to adapt quickly to change and be flexible
- Effective communicator
- Flexible and a team player
- Able to motivate and encourage large groups of children and teenagers
- Able to address large groups of young people
- 18 years of age or over
- Willing to carry out manual duties
- Able to sustain long periods of physical activity
- Actively enjoy spending time with children/teenagers
- Professional appearance
- Qualifications in related subjects (e.g. arts, drama, sports, etc)*
- Coaching/arts teaching qualification*
- Current First Aid certificate**
- Current RLSS lifesavers qualification**
- Previous summer school experience
- Experience of working with children and/or teenagers
- Competent sports/gamesperson with knowledge of the rules and organisation of one or more sports
* Please consult with us on acceptable qualifications
** If you are interested in becoming a qualified lifesaver or First Aid qualified, SHSH will reimburse 50% of the cost of training to staff who obtain the certificate (max. £75.00). Staff will be reimbursed with the first payroll after receipts are submitted, provided that the courses are booked in consultation with Head Office.
Equal Opportunities Statement
Our Equal Opportunities Policy states:
“In the recruitment, selection, training, appraisal, development and promotion of staff, the only consideration must be that the individual meets, or is likely to meet the requirements of the programme or course or post.
The requirements being met, no employee will be discriminated against on the basis of their sex, race, colour, ethnic origin, nationality (within current legislation), age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, caring or parental responsibilities, or beliefs on matters such as religion or politics.”
ABOUT CATS COLLEGES
CATS Colleges is a leading provider of pre-university academic courses and English language courses in the UK. We provide programmes including A Level, IB and University Foundation, as well as English Language Study, to a growing number of international students seeking to win places at UK universities.
We operate a number of different educational brands: CATS Colleges in Cambridge, Canterbury and London; CATS Academy in Boston; Cambridge School of Visual and Performing Arts (CSVPA) and Stafford House English language schools and study holidays. We benefit from being part of a global team focused on teaching and learning.
CATS Colleges are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of our students and expect everyone connected with the organisation to share this commitment. All positions are subject to the satisfactory completion of safer recruitment pre-employment checks in line with KCSIE guidelines.